Friday, October 7, 2011

F**king profanity.................and sex scene's in writing

Most of the time I feel like this baby writer, this tiny ridiculous thing that knows nothing about how to get published, how to self publish or promote, what not to do, what to do well, onward etc, whine, barf, whine.

I guess the question now is, where to draw the line. Since The Wild Hunt is a book that is more adult than young, I stopped holding back the fucking, the shit, the assholes and bastards, I let my bad sailor mouth go. My mother will be horrified and probably impressed at the same time, she is the one who says most of the dirty words I know, sorry mom, you know you're a potty mouth too!

Anyways back to the point, I'm sure I've over cussed in The Wild Hunt, I know I have, I cuss too much in real life, and because Lo (my protagonist) is a little bit of me, of course she inherited her mommy's bad mouth, (Sound familiar? ha ha sorry mom I did it again!) So the question is, how much is too much in an adult paranormal fiction/romance/fantasy/actiony/horror/////// geez you get the picture. What is too much?

Is it even possible to over cuss in an adult fiction? I don't want 13 year old kids to read my book hence the reason it's an adult and not a YA. 13 year olds shouldn't read my book. It's got too much of everything, too much death, sex, smut, and fucked up shit. Yes I'm probably over cussing now because I'm thinking about it. But I don't think I can cut out any cuss words, I love when Lo calls herself an asshole, because sometimes she is an asshole.

Another thing that has popped up, because I know my genre (twenty to fifty something woman who like reading a great sex scene)  I'm wondering how much I should elude to and how much I should leave out. I don't have any restrictions in my genre, other than not to actually say penis or vagina, no using the real words sucks all the fun out of the equation. I don't want to write too much sex, I'm not sure why, maybe it's some strange sense of wanting to stay true to the story and not sale out just to sale more books. It doesn't feel necessary to the story. And I have the opportunity to write in some steamy sex, but again I'm left wondering why I don't.

So I'm a baby writer who is willing to cuss up a fucking storm, but not willing to write some gratuitous steamy over the top toe curling sex.

Why?

Who knows, I'm no prude (yes a little more me in Lo, although I never slept around to forget or be numb, I just never restricted myself from ever doing anything I really wanted, which I'm sure is common with females my age. The days where people wait until marriage are all but gone (some people do but it's uncommon), in this day and age you can have as much, or as little sex as you want, just double wrap it to be safe!) anyways again I'm going on and on, what was my point again..........................shit, oh yea why am I okay with profanity in my story, and not steamy sex?

I can't help but wonder, granted because the story isn't finished maybe that means some steamy toe curling sex can still make it's way in..................but it's not a staple, the story is. So you'll find lots of cuss words, some heavy petting but no ridiculous throbbing member, heaving breast's or any such other strange and cliche descriptions. Here's to hoping the profanity and lack of steam doesn't drive away the readers...........fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment