Saturday, July 21, 2012

Editor Needed!!

Word Count: 119,991
The Wild Hunt: COMPLETED


............Now what?

I hate to say it, but because I am too close to the story, I need someone outside of it to edit. I'd love to trust myself, to believe that I know my story so well that nothing could have possibly slipped through the cracks. But because I'm human, and flawed, I know better.

I need an editor.

I have a friend who writes and self publishes, so I think I will ask her who she uses. I think I might do some research online as well.

I thought that when I finished the book, I'd be happier. Part of me is ecstatic, after the last sentence was typed, I spent the rest of the day floating. It was such a wonderful high. Today, I'm still happy, but I'm more aware of the next steps, and the work that still needs to be done.

Plus editing sucks, its even more time consuming than the actual writing. Checking word frequency, and deleting ly words. Checking for passive voice, present tense vs. past, split infinitive, prepositions, comma use, dialogue, and that doesn't even include checking the story itself. Making sure all the strings are tightly woven together. Voice, flow, and conflict. There are so many things to check........it's exhausting. I also have to format, a file for hardback and for ebook, and because I'm going to put the ebook on more than one platform that means I have to format for each separate publication, Smashwords, B&N, Amazon............exhausting.

Once I have all that done I need to ARC, find readers, bloggers, and reviewers to test read. Why am I self publishing? I don't even remember anymore............sigh. Writing the book seems like the easy part now, and that is seriously scary.


No comments:

Post a Comment