Monday, December 19, 2011

To edit or not to edit.......

So like anything else, anytime I write, I edit, if I'm just re-reading a particularly sticky passage I edit. When I'm thinking about the story while I cook dinner, or frost cookies, I edit. So the question isn't really do I edit, or when should I, since I do it in an obsessive controlling way anyway, it's more about should I edit names or titles.

Most of the names that I have now I picked back when the book was still a fledgling YA novel. Now that the YA part has been tossed, and the first draft burned, I wonder about some of those first names and titles.

The first few book title's were awful, and I actually really love The Wild Hunt, but now I'm left wondering if I should scrap the Series name Hounds of God, and just go with the first books title. Call it The Wild Hunt Series, it rolls, but is it right? Because I'm just a writer and not a marketing expert, editor, book designer, or publisher, I don't have the answers, I only have my gut, and it's twisted and unsure about EVERYTHING.

The writing is the easy part, it's everything else that scares the hell out of me. If I decide to self publish, (another of the many unmade decisions left to be made) then I have to make these decisions wisely. Other authors have suggestions, and blogs thankfully that help..........

The writing is easy.........I never ever thought I'd say that. I guess being as close to the ending as I've ever been has mellowed me.

The farther I get the more relaxed I become, I'm starting to let the words come without holding back or making it as perfect, as I used to stress about in the beginning. Granted I'll edit the bitch a hundred times over before I'll ever let someone read it. The perfectionist in me knows that I a writer/non-editor cannot make it perfect, but I will try like hell to do so. I've come across so many helpful pieces of advice on writing that I'm going to make a little list of all those tid-bits and compile them here, for you guys out there that might stumble across my blog, and for  me, because I'll need it for the next one.

I like what one author wrote about editing, that nothing, until the book goes to press is set in stone, everything can be changed, and a good writer, is willing to change anything to make the story better. I'll do it, I'll take that leap. But what about the Series name??????? LOL to keep it, or not to keep it, someday I'll make those big decisions, but until then I'll live by that writers wise words, nothing is set in stone, until the book goes to press!

No comments:

Post a Comment