Thursday, April 17, 2014

Character Profile: Sutter Casgrove

Sutter is a character that was introduced in The Wild Hunt. As the town of Concords Beta and former Alpha, he is tied to the Hunt like any Cwn Annwn, but while most Cwn Annwn males have an alpha gene that helps distinguish their strength within the pack, Sutter has two.

He is related to Arley Dufrey the Scent Hound. They share the same dead-beat father. Another dozen half-siblings are out there but none as close as Sutter and Arley.

He is getting a larger character profile this time around for The Otherside. His character is very present in this second installment. Sometimes characters surprise you, Sutter is definitely one that snuck up on me. I never saw him coming.





Sutter Casgrove



  1. Name: Sutter Birmingham Casgrove
  2. Age: 31
  3. Hair: Short Brown
  4. Eyes: Buttery Brown
  5. Build: Stocky
  6. Height: 5'10
  7. Personality: Southern gentleman, teaser, fierce.
  8. Likes: Hard work, animals,  loyal people, gambling, and teasing.
  9. Dislikes: Rule breakers, earth-bound spirits, needless killing.

10. Music: Rock, Three Days Grace, Puddle of Mudd, NIN, Tool.
11. Movies: Anything action, (chic flicks but you didn't hear that from me.)
12. Actor whom my character most resembles: A shorter, stockier Anson Mount
13. Clothes: Jeans, boots, my hat and shirts are optional.
14. Job: Big Animal vet. Beta to Concord pack
15. Song: "Between Us"-Peter Bradley Adams
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Sutter's Family Farmhouse
 
 

 
 
 

The farmhouse is located in the mountains below Yosemite on the outskirts of the town of Concord. Sutter is a big animal vet, spending a majority of his time on the road to other farms to inoculate new foals and calves, and to provide the general care of the animals.

The Barn is located farther down from the house. It is very large and the traditional red. Inside it has many nice horse stalls, his office, a surgical room, and exam rooms. He treats Othersider's who are in need of emergency care. He sets a lot of broken bones and performs various stiches. In town the Othersider's go to Pillar who is a nurse and the local Doctor for more immediate and serious injuries.

He cares about people and animals alike. He is sarcastic by nature but genuninly wants the best for those around him. He will do anything he can to help those that are weak and need his help. When he was Alpha Concord ran smoothly. He is remembered well. It was his choice to step aside.


 





Sutter's words.


THE WILD HUNT



"Who might you be?" The deep voice came from the shorter of the two. He had dark hair and yellow eyes. His demeanor said gentle but his body screamed deadly. His muscles were bulky and cut sharp on his stocky frame.
"Uhh...." I gurgled before choking. "My name is...Lo." I sputtered.
Recognition crossed his features. "Duncan's Lo." He said.
I was getting really sick of being called that.

I slid away from Sutter, and placed my hands on the counter to lift myself up. He ran a hand across his face and glanced down my bare legs.
"No wonder they're fighting." He said.

His chair squeaked as he shifted. "I asked him about the earth bound spirits, the ones that rot instead of shine. He didn't see tem around here much so he didn't know anything about them. I told him bout the ones in 'Bama'. He didn't know how to get rid of them, and the more people I asked the more I wanted to know. I spent hours going through old books Gideon had left behind. While Duncan was busy babysitting Fin, I researched earth bound spirits and The Wild Hunt."

"In some way or another we are all connected to the Hunt, to the Otherside, like a great circle."




THE OTHERSIDE

 
Sutter laughed. "You were just being honest. Maybe needed is the wrong word. Wanted. I want to be wanted. I want to be someone's air. I want to feel like my presence makes their life better. Just by simply existing."
 
 
"See you think I mean all of that in a bad way, but I understand. You need that wall there because it doesn't keep them out, it keeps you in. It protects from them ever hurting you, because sweetheart, if there is one thing I know for sure about you. You've been hurt, and bad."
 
 
"No truly. I am. You have Lyle and that's great, it's wonderful...but I know what it's like to have parents that don't give a shit about you. The good doesn't erase the bad. It makes it tolerable, but it never takes it away."
 
 
 
NAN'S SAYINGS
 
 
Sutter's smile fell. "I'm serious. You little girl are what my Nan says is trouble. You like to play with fire. You like all the bright shiny colors that come along with it. I am old, and too smart to play with either the trouble or the fire. So, I will keep my hands to myself for the most part. Mornings and drinking too much will not be included in those statements. Both are outside of my control."
 
 
"Nan says you should never turn down an invitation to dinner or a fight."
I smiled. "Why the fight?"
Sutter grinned. "You gotta eat, and you don't need more chicken."
 
 
"You know what Nan says about tears?"
I was afraid to ask.
"They're just extra seasoning."
 
 
"You'll get over it. Nan says that you should do one thing every day that scares you."


"We can leave you know. Nan says the worlds hard enough without torturing yourself."
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Aunt Nan
 
 
Another new character in The Otherside is Sutter's Aunt Nan. Not only is she full of great words of wisdom and comic relief, but her part in the story is one of my favorites. She is a salt of the earth no-nonsense elder, which is something that has been missing from the series. Lyle while involved, is not a part of the Otherside world. He is only human. Nan is the voice of reason in the middle of a bloody world full of monsters.
 
 
 
 
 
 
  1. Name: Nannette
  2. Age: 64
  3. Hair: Medium length Grey
  4. Eyes: Brown
  5. Build: Proud, broad shouldered, tough,
  6. Height: 5'1
  7. Personality: Bold, strong, virtuous, no-nonsense, full of sayings
  8. Likes: Strength, honor, vengeance
  9. Dislikes: Evil, murder, hate
10. Music: Old Rock
11. Movies: Old Musicals
12. Actress whom my character resembles:
13. Clothes: Jeans nice blouses, long skirts, dresses, always apron
14. Job: Helps with Sutter's Veterinary Clinic
15. Song: "Like A Rolling Stone"-Bob Dylan
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment