Thursday, January 3, 2013

Scent Hound



I took a break from The Otherside, because its so damn intimidating. I don't know how to pump out a second book that's just as detailed as the first one in a quarter of the time. Lets hope that starting a new project inspires me.

Scent Hound is a novella/novel (I'm not yet sure which it will be) that is based in the same world as The Wild Hunt, but focuses on a different protagonist. Arley Dufrey. She is a private investigator with a nose for trouble. Her specialty is being able to smell emotions, lies, secrets, everything about you down to your hand soap. The books will intertwine at some point in The Otherside, when Lo goes to Alabama to help release the earth bound spirits of dead soldiers.


So far I have about 10,000 words which is a pretty great start. I think I'll post a tiny snippet just to give you a taste.



 

Prologue
 

Second Scents

 


 

Few things in this world turn my stomach the way a large city does. The undertones of fried food and urine are the perfect pairing to the overwhelming scent of garbage and body odor. My fragile nose hates cities, but my job requires my presence. No one in the sticks hires private investigators. There are no paranoid rich wives, or jealous rich husbands, not to mention the absolute absence of corporate espionage.

I’m what you call a scent hound. My ability makes it possible for me to smell not only the garbage in the dumpsters, but the place that serves fried chicken a mile away. My biggest advantage in this business is that I can actually smell your secrets. Every emotion gives of a certain smell. Only gifted people, or creatures I should say, are capable of distinguishing the subtle differences. Just like perfume can smell differently on people so too can a particular feeling.

Envy for instance, is a pungent odor so sour it’s almost dripping with lemon. It is almost identical to hate. I am one of a few people that can tell the difference. I’m sort of a connoisseur of scent. I can smell your lies, your fears, and your deepest and darkest desires. If you have something to hide, I’m your worst nightmare. I’m a living and breathing, walking lie detector, and I can smell you down to the type of soap you use, your morning ritual to the last time you took a hand and stroked your favorite body part. Everything leaves behind a scent…Everything.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment