Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Sleeping Beauty

I unlike a lot of friends and family like Sucker Punch, to me it was a comic book-esque, adventure film with layers upon layers of interwoven story plots. To put it simply, it rocked. I enjoyed it and understood the psychological reason's behind the world the protagonist created to escape the reality of her situation. So I'm a Emily Browning fan, hence the reason for my watching the Indie film Sleeping Beauty.




I usually either hate or love Indie films. There usually isn't any middle ground, except with this film. Part of me was horrified by the things these dirty old men did to her, but another part of me felt like I was peaking behind someones curtains. I couldn't stop watching, even as horrified as I was. Here this young woman showed up time after time to be exposed to various forms of non-penetrating rape, and I just couldn't understand why she'd do it. Why? Obviously the money was good, but the curious part of me could never NOT know what was being done to me. Shiver, the film gave me the creeps, but it made me think, made me hate, made me cringe. Those are always good things, even if I wanted to throw up part of the time. I'll always be a lover of Character studies, and this was a strange, twisted, journey into the world of the unknown. Like that old question what would you do for a million dollars, this is a twisted little drama. If you don't know what's done, if you are not actually hurt in any permanent way, well then, what's the harm. I imagine a character such as Lucy would suffer irreparable emotional damage from that unknown. Wondering what someone did to you while you slept unaware of the violence, the injustice, the molestation. It disturbs me, but it makes me think.

I'm not sure if I'd give this a go ahead an watch vote, I'm not quite sure how I feel, it provokes a strange amount of mixed feelings. Curiosity as well as disgust, disturbing, probably more because I'm a woman, and I always put myself into protagonists shoes.

Like a car crash I couldn't look away. That's all I can say really, car crash, disturbing, a peak behind the curtains into a world I'll never ever want to really know.

1 comment:

  1. I'm the same way about Sucker Punch: a lot of people I know didn't like it. I even skipped watching in the theater because they said it wasn't worth it.

    After watching when it hit DVD, I really liked it a lot! The action was very cool but the story was very intriguing. I loved how despite what was really happening in reality, the viewer was swept away in the thoughts and imagination of the character(s).

    It was cool.
    And I liked Rocket ;-)

    ReplyDelete